[CT Birds] Stratford Gulls, and Plankton-feeding begins.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 26 17:43:05 EST 2013

>From Frank Mantlik

2/26  Stratford, Long Beach - This afternoon (3:30) I made a brief stop here.
 Had no time to walk down to look for the Glaucous/Iceland Gull.  But did see 1
Bonaparte's Gull and the adult "KUMLIEN'S" ICELAND GULL. The latter flew off
with a flock and I relocated it sitting on the roof of house at 30 Fifth Ave.

At Russian Beach (Park Blvd) 4pm, there was a mixed flock of 350 gulls and about
20 ducks surface-feeding on plankton.  This is the first I've seen of this
annual event, whereby many thousands of gulls feed in this manner off SW CT for
the next month or so. Makeup:  300+ Ring-billed, 45 Herring, 1 Bonaparte's, 15
Am. Black Duck, 3 Am. Wigeon, 2 Greater Scaup.