[CT Birds] of Ruffed grouse here in CT.

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Thu Feb 28 12:00:43 EST 2013

There is an area of mixed oak/jack pine/white pine forest laced with wetlands in the Shaker Pines Lake portion of Enfield, along the Longmeadow, Massachusetts border that has what seems to be a healthy population of Grouse.  Most every year, I get my heart stopped as a bird explodes out of the blueberry thickets as I approach.  Happens more than once sometimes on a 30-45 minute hike (1-2 miles round trip).  I have seen Pheasants in this area in the past too, though not in the last 8-10 years.

Jim