[CT Birds] concerns about feeding Hawks.

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 13:20:40 EST 2013

I too am a naturalist, and do feel as you do in allowing wildlife to do
their thing as intended. However – our human footprint sure interrupts their
doing so in many ways, and sometimes by us giving them the opportunity to
survive might not be so bad a thing, as long as we don't make them permanently
dependent on our efforts. I view feeding these Hawks as the same as feeding

other birds at out bird feeders, which is such a common thing to do today.
I believe these birds use our offerings often, but still prefer to get their
foods

mainly from their wild sources. I intend to feed these Hawks only occasionally,
but mainly when the conditions are at the worst, such as deep snow as we just
had.

Plus - as with Vultures, I believe the digestive processes are there for Hawks
to kill most of the bad bacteria etc. and I strive to offer as much wild killed
food such as road kill just for that reason – they are use to these animals for
food. I plan to stop soon offering these hawks food, as the natural sources are
once again becoming available – An occasional helping hand from us I believe is
not any more dangerous to them then to see them starve from no food availability
while that situation lasts.

As a different point to this subject:

It appears the wild food crop is just not here this winter for many of the
winter arriving birds to utilize. I especially am concerned for the Redpolls. I
believe the offerings we are giving them in the form of commercial bird seed
might very well be the only food available to them this winter. Is this good? It
is not natural, but might it be a good thing to do for their survival? I believe
as a temporary thing to help them survive is acceptable, but only while that
situation persists.

We all want to see our wildlife survive as best they can, and when we can offer
some help in doing so, than that might be a good thing. It sure is one way to
pay them back for all the destruction and changes we as humans do to them and
their habitat that is so destructive and detrimental.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton