[CT Birds] East Haddam Redpoll

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 07:47:49 EST 2013

In my yard today at a newly placed thistle feeder, one male redpoll, the first at my feeders this year. It had a fair amount of white coloring, but I believe it was a common redpoll.  I only had a brief look at it as I was already late for work.  Nothwithstanding the frost on my windshield this morning, I was surprised to see it given all of the migrating blackbirds over my yard last evening, and with all of the migration reports I've been reading.  I think it was no stranger to a feeder, so I am now wondering if we will have some redpolls hanging around for a time given the vast numbers of them we had this winter.

Dan Rottino