[CT Birds] Glastonbury

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Sat Mar 2 20:24:09 EST 2013

Well, any one rarity is rare, but to have some member of the group of rarities might be very common.

E.g., let's say 1 bird lands on a post 40% of the time, and 60 other birds land there, 1% each.  Any one of those rarities would be rare -- but a rarity would be there well over half the time.  If you had to bet *on* one bird, bet on the 40%, but if you could bet *against* a bird, bet against the 40%.

So, I can imagine being surprised at the lack of any from the class of rarities.  Even though the presence of any particular one would be a surprise, the lack of any of the class could also be a surprise.

Statistics is a strange field.