[CT Birds] Predators in Stratford

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Sun Mar 3 22:51:30 EST 2013

This afternoon Brendan, Graham and I did some birding, starting in Stratford and working our way down the coast back towards Norwalk.  It was chillier than expected and less birdy than hoped, but on the rail-trail in Stratford we surprised a N. HARRIER feeding on a dead goose just off the trail- never had seen that before and wished we had noticed it before it flushed.  From the overlook at the end of the trail we found a PEREGRINE FALCON feeding on something far out on a distant grassy spit.  Black ducks, Brant, and GW teal were abundant.
Our tour ended at Sherwood Island, just before closing, where we searched unsuccessfully for Snipe.  However, we did get the first COWBIRDS for the season, among Starlings and Killdeer on the grass inside the rotary.

-Sean Murtha, Norwalk

www.seanmurthaart.com