[CT Birds] Probable 2nd Cycle (Pale) Iceland Gull Long Beach, Stratford

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Mon Feb 25 09:20:56 EST 2013

Sunday, 2/24 a very pale, presumed 2nd Cycle Iceland Gull spotted at the 3rd Jetty down. This bird is much paler and larger than the "text book" 2nd Cycle Iceland I spotted in November/December.  I'll be sending noncropped photos to Patrick later.

Mars Muusse of Gull-Research.org commented:  it's a bird from the Iceland-Kumlien's complex. and indeed on the paler side of the spectrum. Still, there is obvious brown on the outerwebs of the outer primaries which places this bird probably in the 'pale Kumlien's' corner. The kind of Iceland Gull we got in Europe normally has (almost) whitish primaries:

I have asked Mars to comment regarding the size as the bird was chunky and my understanding of Iceland's from my books, is that they are more slender than a Am. Herring.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT