[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities in March

Larry Bausher lpbausher at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 11:22:31 EST 2013

Please note the March schedule of activities of the New Haven Bird Club.

Indoor Meeting:

Monthly Meeting, Thursday, March 14. Florence McBride —A Gallery of
Western Birds.  Free and open to the public. Whitney Center Cultural
Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden. In her travels in the
Western US, Florence McBride's camcorders have recorded many species
that are hard or impossible to see in Connecticut. This program will
present some of her best footage. We'll appreciate the beauty of
birds such as California's Heermann's Gull, Colorado's Mountain
Bluebird, and Arizona's Gambel's Quail, and we'll do a lot of
behavior-watching.  Some of Flo's favorite shots feature lekking
Greater Prairie Chickens in Kansas; in Phoenix, a Cactus Wren
building a nest at the Desert Botanical Garden, and avocets and
stilts inhabiting a riparian preserve; Dippers dipping and a small
group of American White Pelicans foraging in Colorado; plus many
other species found in California and the Mountain West.  Florence
McBride has shown her films at Yale's Peabody Museum of Natural
History, at meetings of the NHBC and other organizations, as well as
in schools.  She leads birding field trips for adults and children,
and has been active in local conservation efforts.  Since 1990 she
has worked with teachers, students, and administrators to develop and
implement a bird-focused science program in the Hamden Public
Schools. Her films have played a useful part in this project; and the
activities and materials of her Take Flight! program have been shared
with educators in CT and other states through workshops and
consultation. Her work has been recognized with awards at the state
and national level.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program at 7:30. For
more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or 203-230-1697.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Stratford: Shores/Great Meadows Marsh.
Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 8 a.m. Free and open to the public.  Join
us as we visit this fine birding area. We will meet at the Long Beach
parking lot and bird the marsh and beach and then visit Sikorsky
Airport and Frash Pond. We’ll look for sea birds such  as  Long-
tailed  Duck  and  scoters, as  well as  raptors  and shorebirds.
Directions: Follow signs to Sikorsky Airport from Exit 30 off I-95.
Go past the airport entrance and follow the causeway to the end. Take
the first right onto Oak Bluff Avenue and follow it to the Long Beach
entrance. Leader—Frank Mantlik. Contact—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Silver Sands State Park, Milford.  Saturday, March 16, 2013, 8:00
a.m. Free and open to the public. Join expert birder and recent
retiree Frank Mantlik (ahhh, so much time now for birding!) as he
leads a walk at this excellent birding location on the Connecticut
coast.  We’ll be looking for sea ducks, shorebirds, raptors, and all
things avian.  Meet at the main parking lot in the park.  Leader—
Frank Mantlik: 203.984.9410, mantlik at sbcglobal.net

Block Island.  Thursday, March 21, 6:00 a.m. Day trip birding on
Block Island.  Ferry leaves Point Judith at 6:30 am, returns 2:30 pm.
Call for trip details and reservation: Chris Loscalzo, 203 389-6508
or closcalz at optonline.net.  Go to www.newhavenbirdclub.org for more

Family Bird Walk, Kellogg Environmental Center, Derby. Saturday,
March 30, 2013, 9:00 a.m.  Free and open to the public. Families and
beginner birders are welcome on this ramble through Kellogg's woods,
thickets, and meadows in search of birds.  We’ll keep an eye out for
bluebirds, woodpeckers, and sparrows and finish the walk with a stop
at the feeders for some up close views.  Bring binoculars and a field
guide if you have them, appropriate clothing, and a little bit of
curiosity about birds and the natural world. All ages are welcome.
Meet at the environmental center parking lot, 500 Hawthorne Ave.
Leader—Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe: 203-630-9640, cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director