[CT Birds] Long Beach gull is a puzzler

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:12:50 EST 2013

I haven't been able to get down to Long Beach in Stratford to view the gull
variously indentified as Iceland and then Glaucous. However, I have viewed
many good photos of it, thanks to Donna C and Frank M. I don't feel that
the bird is either an Iceland or a pure Glaucous. There has been much
discussion off of this list as to the bird's identifty, but no conclusion
has been reached. I have concluded that I don't know what it is; I just
feel that it is not an Iceland at all and not a pure Glaucous either. Get
down there in person to view it if you can -especially if knotty
identification problems are what you thrive on. Get a good look and then
bang your head against a rock 3 times. Maybe an answer will pop out.

Charlie Barnard Jr.