[CT Birds] Musings on feeding hawks

Delia Berlin delia.berlin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:37:41 EST 2013

Without passing judgment (because I also love hawks and understand the
pleasure in attracting and watching them) please consider the following when
feeding raised meats to wildlife:

1. because of routine antibiotic use in farms, most of the meat sold for
human consumption is colonized with multidrug resistant bacteria and can
cause illness in humans and animals when eaten raw
2. the carbon footprint of all meats is very high; for example, it takes 4
lbs of fish feed to grow 1 lb of farm raised salmon
3. hawks need to practice and perfect their hunting skills, and they need to
teach those skills to their young
4. a good supply of well-fed vegetarian squirrels for hawks to feed on can
address concerns 1, 2 and 3 - don't squirrel proof your feeders!

Delia Berlin