[CT Birds] of Ruffed grouse here in CT.

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Thu Feb 28 15:29:10 EST 2013

Connecticut Wildlife had an article this past month about the efforts to create large areas of young forest habitat to protect New England cottontails.  They listed patch cuts recently at Goshen WMA (57 acres) and White Memorial (45 acres) and Patchaug SF (not in NW CT) and plans for 6 more future large scale cuts (locations not mentioned in article).  Obviously, this will benefit many more species than the New England cottontail, including the Ruffed grouse.
     I do agree with Paul's position about removing them from the list of huntable species.  It will take a while for these tracts to develop into young forest habitat.  It would be a shame if they were hunted to extirpation before they could benefit from the ongoing attempts at habitat restoration.  I always justify hunting as sensible wildlife management, but I don't see allowing the continued hunt of a species that is declining due to habitat loss as sensible.  It would make sense to put a temporary moratorium on grouse hunting until they show signs of recovery due to habitat management.
     I would like to help in any way I can to bring this issue to the DEEP and plan on contacting them.  Does anyone know someone in the DEEP that would be a good first contact or could help bring the issue to the proper authority?   Any other attempt I've made to contact state offices have involved long phone trees, unreturned phone messages and frustration, so I would appreciate any help or advice in the process.
Jack Swatt