[CT Birds] Coventry Lake, GREAT CORMORANT

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Mar 2 00:54:50 EST 2013

2/28/13, Thursday
A good portion of Coventry lake is open now and I went to take a look.
There are a lot of birds, but the first one I saw turned out to be a GREAT
CORMORANT. It was on the far shore but I had an excellent scope view, and I was
 certain as soon as I got the scope on it, because of the heavy body shape
and  the whiteish bill, face and chin/throat. But then the bird preened and
I had a  good look at the white spot on the side. I have some very poor
digiscoped pics  of it, taken from across the lake, about 1/4 mile away, but
good enough to  confirm ID.
This is definitely a first for me for Coventry or this far inland, and I
have to believe it can't be a very common sighting here. I don't know if
there  is an official "Coventry" list, but if so I wonder if this bird is on it.

26 Common Mergansers, 11 male, 15 female
28 Canada Geese
124 at least (Probably a lot more) Gulls, mostly Ring-billed but a few
Herring Gulls and at least 4 GBBG.
1 gull tagged in Mass (Nov 2012)  and 1 Canada Goose tagged  right here on
Coventry Lake in 2008

Don Morgan