[CT Birds] Great Cormorant continues.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Mar 4 15:32:03 EST 2013

The Great Cormorant is still at Coventry Lake. He was perched on a  rock,
today, near where I first saw him last Thursday. It was extremely windy (
and cold!) so there wasn't much else there. Small flock of gulls sitting on
the  remaining ice (lake is about half open now) and 1 Common merganser that I
could  see, in the water. A group of 4 duck sp. flew up the lake but I
didn't have bins  or scope at the moment so I can't say what they were. Could
have been something  besides Mergs; they looked quite small. Not of a sign of
a CG; probably off in a  nice warm corn field somewhere. They are largely
snow-free now.
I went to another spot, hoping to find the ducks but struck out, and I
noticed that the cormorant was gone from his rock, so I suspect he was in the
water fishing or staying warm, but the lake was being whipped to a froth so
I  couldn't find him and I didn't stay that long.
Don Morgan