[CT Birds] Middletown screech owl and woodcock

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 20:36:10 EST 2013

I was leaving work (middle school) at 6 pm and I heard a screech-owl.  I found it 25 feet up in a hole in a tree.  This is the first time I've ever seen one in a hole in a tree.  A few weeks ago, I was thinking I would never witness this as I was looking at the cover art of screech-owls by Mark Szantyr on "Connecticut Birding Guide."  Anyway, a woodcock shot up into the sky about 30 seconds after first hearing the owl.  CT Year birds 60 and 61 for me.  I haven't been able to bird that often this year, but it made me think about how Sara Z had 144 (is that number correct Sara?) species in CT in January.  Wow.