[CT Birds] Birders have not failed

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 10 17:57:16 EDT 2013

Hi Charlie,

I completely agree with you that birders have achieved a great deal, and certainly did not mean to imply that birders are "cheapskates".  As I said in my original post, many people have worked very hard to improve conservation funding with the ultimate goal of improving the status of bird populations.  By "failed" I was simply referring to the fact that many bird populations continue to decline, good habitat continues to decline, and steady funding for state agencies and the conservation activities of nonprofit groups continues to be elusive (at least in this state).  If those are our measures of success - and they are mine, although others may be content with other metrics - then we (and I include myself here) have failed.  I wish it were not true, but the fact that we have some version of this conversation so frequently is the starkest testimony to that fact that I can imagine.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net