[CT Birds] Thanks Chris for you research

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 12 06:12:29 EDT 2013

Hi Paul,

Yes, you are absolutely right that birders pay state sales taxes, etc. too.  What I wasn't clear on though is that the taxes that hunters pay on their supplies (called "Pittman-Robertson" Funds) are additional to all the regular taxes that everyone else pays.  The other thing that sets them apart is that they have to be used for wildlife-related activities.  They are a Federal tax, that is distributed directly to  state wildlife departments under the proviso that they are used in this way (as I understand it it, if they are not, the Feds keep the money).  I'm not an expert on exactly how the law works, but there is more information at these sites (and elsewhere):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman%E2%80%93Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/federalaid/pittmanrobertson.html

Once again, I'm not trying to belittle the many wonderful efforts that birders make (really! truly!).  I'm just trying to explain why hunting interests have a larger influence over state agencies than the birding community does .... and also why hunting is so important for bird conservation.  If it were not for hunting much of the conservation work currently done by wildlife agencies would simply stop.

Chris

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net