[CT Birds] Red-tailed Hawk with much white plumage, Salem

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 15 16:19:44 EDT 2013

Hiking along the Walden Preserve trails In Salem today I observed a
Red-tailed Hawk that had white feathering over approximately 70% of its body
and wings. The tail appeared solidly patterned in the usually rust color.
Based on the tail being solidly red, and the rather pied appearance of the
bird's body and wings, I would say the cause was albinism as opposed to
leucism. The observation was naked eye and the bird was seen leaving a tall
tree and crossing a field, so I may not have the details exact. I have been
hiking here many times this winter and I have not seen this bird here
before. I often see two normally plumaged Red-taileds here.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England

 <http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>