[CT Birds] American Goldfinches in Westport - Old Hill Section

Bill McNee billmcnee at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 12:12:23 EDT 2013

I filled the birdfeeder again this morning, which drove a lot of action on
the back deck (10am-12noon).

In addition to our regular visitors this winter, which have included a large
population of Dark-eyed Junco's, plus Black-capped Chickadees, Titmouse,
House and Song Sparrows, White-breasted Nuthatch, and our trio of
Woodpeckers (Downy, Red-bellied and Northern Flicker), this morning we also
had 2 Carolina Wren's, and a beautiful pair of American Goldfinch.

On Thursday, we had a large flock of European Starlings (100 or more)
descend on the backyard, and mixed in with them were more than a dozen
Common Grackles, and a half dozen Brown-headed Cowbirds.

While not part of the big flock that then moved on, yesterday also had a
Red-winged Blackbird stop by the feeder. . .

William S. McNee

billmcnee at gmail.com