[CT Birds] Feeder Watcch 'bust" Weekend - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 11 06:48:03 EDT 2013

This past weekend (9 and 10 March 2013) I did Feeder Watch for the Cornell Lab for my solo black-oiled sunflower feeder here in Washington, CT. The weekend was a "bust" in terms of a lack of birds and what birds I just did not see. There was a bit of snow on the ground on Saturday morning here but with the feeder on the south side of the house here most of the snow near the feeder was gone by Sunday afternoon. I admit not having as much time to observe my feeder as I normally do this past weekend but I did watch the feeder at good times, early to mid morning and in the late afternoons. No woodpeckers, no sparrows (including juncos), and get this not one Northern Cardinal! My birds for Feeder Watch were:

Blue Jay - 4
American crow - 5
Black-capped chickadee - 1
Tufted titmouse - 1
White-breasted nuthatch -1
Mourning dove -1

I noted  tufted titmice and eastern bluebirds singing over the weekend. I also heard good song sparrow song in Washington Depot, CT on Sunday morning.

David W Babington
Washington, CT