[CT Birds] [NOSbird] Wildlife Conservation Stamp

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 11 08:22:05 EDT 2013

Just to clarify, for NOSers who have not been following the discussion on the ctbirds list, I did not write that birders do not support bird conservation.  My points were (a) that the level and type of support has been insufficient to reverse population declines, which I consider the key goal of bird conservation, and (b) that the level of support to many state agencies is small compared to that received from hunters, and that this influences how much say the birding community has over what those agencies do.  As Tricia points out, the wildlife conservation stamp idea that has been circulating for a while has potential to be a partial solution to the problem.

OK, I'll stop clogging up the e-waves before the list moderators clamp down on me ...

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net