[CT Birds] Thanks Chris for you research

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Mar 12 08:54:56 EDT 2013

It seems to me we should be focusing on the potential for increasing everyone's influence by embracing cooperation between groups rather than debating which group has greater influence. Sportsmen (to use the term) have long been the largest  contributors of funding for conservation of particular species and habitats. Birders don't need to try and out spend them. I think it would be wiser to cooperate with them and bring our experience and knowledge to their financial influence and create a more influential whole, the sum being greater than the parts, to use a cliché.

If we focus too much on pride of place, we'll be lost in arguing who is the greater contributor to conservation while a major corporation paves a wetland to build a new boutique for the latest in designer dog jackets or something. Hunters, fisherman, and birders have a common ground. We don't agree on everything of course. Heck, married couples don't agree on everything either, but they live together! Usually. And if the environment and birds aren't conserved, the argument will end up being about who used to be the biggest contributors back in the day when there was habitat and birds.

David Provencher
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.