[CT Birds] Blue Jay doing red-shouldered call

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Thu Mar 14 19:35:42 EDT 2013

I had the same experience at the Raymond Brook Marsh around noon today. A
few wood ducks spooked from the west end and uttered their high-pitched
nervous call as they few a little way up the marsh to the east. I heard a
similar sound coming from further downstream, so I thought there were more
wood ducks there. Soon I realized the sound was up in the trees and sounded
more like a raptor. Having seen a red-shouldered hawk in the same area
couple weeks back, I thought I'd find one again. Instead, I found a single
blue jay. Once seen, it immediately started calling like a jay.
Russ Smiley
Marlborough, CT