[CT Birds] Surprise at Rocky Hill Meadows

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 16 10:58:22 EDT 2013

3/16 - Rocky Hill Meadows

Just had an absolutely amazing thing happen to me. I was just chatting with a gentleman from Rocky Hill about our owl sightings here in the meadows. He mentioned that he was surprised there weren't any short-eared owl sightings here. I agreed, saying I often come before sunset in hopes of seeing one here. I said that Patrick Comins had seen a light colored owl flushed from a field a few months ago, and I know Brian Toal saw one in late March one year.

I was driving back towards the ferry parking entrance, just before the road zig zags, and domething drooped from one of the short fence posts. I looked over and saw - a short-eared owl. I sat gaping at it as it stared at me. Short-tufts, pale buffy face with dark eye patch, yellow eyes, overall buffy spots - I couldn't believe it! It then flew further back in the field and I tried to get a pic with my phone. I put my head down for a moment to verify in Sibley, and the owl left. Then a truck came up with 2 dogs running in front of it. I wonder if they had flushed the owl earlier. It was a very exciting moment for me and I was only sorry the person I was just talking to, who had a camera, wasn't there to witness it also.

Sara Zagorski

Sent from my iPhone