[CT Birds] Ratio of Red-shouldered to Red-tailed

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 17 12:53:51 EDT 2013

I think it depends heavily on the habitat surrounding the observer. I still
see many more Red-taileds than Red-shouldered in CT. There is much more
habitat in our state that is good for Red-taileds than for Red-shouldereds,
and most of my hiking in CT is in forests with marginal to good Shouldered
habitat. So I should be seeing a good number of Shouldereds, and I do, but I
encounter Red-taileds much more often. As an example, I have hiked about 20
miles so far this weekend in Salem and Lyme (through/near some superb
Shouldered habitat) and I observed 6 Red-tailed and no Red-shouldered.

When I lived in Preston I had a pair of Red-shouldered nesting on my
property, and as vocal as they are, it seemed as if there were 30 of them!

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England