[CT Birds] Ratio of Red-shouldered to Red-tailed

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Mar 17 14:18:16 EDT 2013

 I agree with David, regarding the changing habitat. When I was growing up, and the second-growth woods around our house were thin and there was lots of new construction going in, we had red-tails, who prefer the openness. Over the following 30-35 years, the woods grew in thicker and red-shouldereds took over - we actually had a pair nesting in the surrounding woods for almost 10 years. But within the last 5 years, there has been more clearing of the woods - both by residents and the forestry folks (we're surrounded by state forest), and now the red-shouldereds have left but the red-tails have returned.
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester