[CT Birds] Ratio of Red-shouldered to Red-tailed

Anthony Zemba ajzemba at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 14:21:25 EDT 2013

Red-shouldereds have presumably increased in abundance hence their
delisting from the CT ESA.  They were listed as Special COncern in the 1998
list, then removed from the list all together by 2004.  I have been birding
since the mid-seventies and they definitely seem to be more abundant today
than they did in the 70's or 80's but I must agree with Dave P. that
Red-tails are still the most abundant.  This is likely supported in CBC
data, Summer Bird COunt Data, Hawk Watch tallies, etc.

Anthony Zemba
Durham, CT