[CT Birds] Ratio of Red Shouldered to Red Tailed

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 18 08:01:25 EDT 2013

For a graphical analysis of the USGS Breeding Bird Survey data for red-taileds and red-shouldereds, check out the ctbirdtrends website that Chris Field put together to make some of the analyses we've done more accessible to the public.  Chris's analysis of these data is state-of-the-art, accounting for a variety of statistical issues inherent in the BBS data set.

One of the pre-packaged charts that we created includes both species under discussion.  It shows that, while both have increased, red-shouldereds have increased at a faster rate, and have gone from being quite a bit rarer than red-taileds to about as common:

http://www.ctbirdtrends.org/chart_raptors.html

For more about the site, other pre-packaged charts, and the ability to create your own custom charts, go to the home page:

http://ctbirdtrends.org/CTBirdTrends.html

Chris

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT