[CT Birds] White-winged Crossbill

Shaun Martin birdj510 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 10:03:42 EDT 2013

I was taking a walk in my local patch and came across an interesting sight.
While there I come across WWCB feeding at eye level. The interesting part
was these birds would fly to the tree tops, remove a Sweetgum fruit, fly
down to a Maple sapling and wedge these fruits in a branch crotch. Here
they fed quietly together, and were still there when I left. I've seen WWCB
almost every time I visit this area, and the crop of many trees species in
the area is excellent. So I began to wonder, are there any thoughts on the
breeding potential for WWCB in our state this year?

Shaun Martin