[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 14:58:26 EDT 2013

3/20  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center   10:30AM-1PM,  sunny,
windy,  38-43F  low tide receding.
In addition to our avian features on the marsh and grounds, we had human
visitors today from Finland and Santa Barbara, California.
The Finnish visitors had taken numerous photos of birds and a beautiful
sunrise at Silver Sands St. Park this morning.
They asked me if I could help them identify the birds they had photos of.
I told them I would try....but it was funny because what we consider our
common birds, were all unusual and first time sightings for them.  For
instance,  our Northern Cardinal,  Mourning doves, Common Grackles, Ring
Billed gulls, Northern Harrier,
Red winged blackbirds, European Starlings etc. were life birds for them.
So it was an interesting perspective.  Likewise , our Santa Barbara visitor
was thrilled to see the White throated sparrows and our marsh ducks.
Anyway, on the grounds and at feeders were 3 Cardinals, 2 White throated
sparrows, 3 Song Sparrows, 7 House sparrows, Ring Billed & Herring gulls.
On the marsh, fairly far out, since the tide was low and receding,
American wigeons, 4 Gadwalls, 7 Mute swans, 15 Black ducks, mallards, 60+
Green winged teal, 48 Canada Geese, 6 Red breasted mergansers, 7
Buffleheads, 1 Northern Harrier.
Still waiting for our ospreys to return.
Bev Propen, Orange