[CT Birds] FIELDFARE report from Milford

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 21 08:13:15 EDT 2013

Hi Sara,
Too bad.  There could be a Fieldfare or a (European) Redwing in CT with the
migrating Am. Robins right now.  We all just have to get out and look for it.
 Awareness plays a big part in rarity-finding.

There was an old record for Fieldfare in CT (April 1878).  In Zeranski &
Baptist's "Connecticut Birds" (1990), they list as "hypothetical" a specimen
collected April 1878 in Stamford. The current location of the specimen is
unknown. And at the time the species was possibly also kept as a caged bird,
though an April record suggests a wild bird.
I seem to recall the CT Avian Records Committee discussed this record years ago,
but I see no official decision in past archived reports.  That's why the species
is (not yet) on the official state bird list.  I invite others with better
memory to add details or comments to this.

MA has this one, but CT has had some mega rarities too:
1st U.S. Pink-footed Goose
1st U.S. Graylag Goose
White-faced Storm-Petrel
Snowy Plover
Ross's Gull
Fork-tailed Flycatcher
Gray Kingbird
Hermit Warbler
   to name a few.

By the way, birders should also be checking  their local lakes and reservoirs,
as Pacific Loons are being reported all around us: 3 or 4 in Morris County, NJ,
and some in surrounding states as well.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford