[CT Birds] Spring? Bird food?

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 21 10:35:43 EDT 2013

With a fresh film of ice on the Moodus reservoir and snow all morning, it is hard for me to imagine what the Tree Swallows are eating.  I have seen a few insects around, but I wouldn't have thought it was enough to support them under these conditions.  The tree swallows on the CT river are flying close to the water, so perhaps they are eating something just above the surface.  It just seems as if they are pushing it a little early.  On the other hand, I know I will have a Phoebe at my house in as little as a week or so, and I am looking forward to it.

Dan