[CT Birds] Sharpie in Hamden

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 22 22:19:44 EDT 2013

John, I know the feeling.

A Robin is about 85 grams; a male Sharpy, 87 grams or so.  Sharpies are so much bigger.  And, it's so easy to see this dramatic difference in mass as these birds flit through the trees, just past your eyes.

;)

I'm kidding.  At Lighthouse, in October, during a scan of 400 Blue Jays, if we are awake, we often find a Sharpy.  In November, among a sheet of 1,000 American Robins each resembling a tiny Ace-of-Spades up in the sky, we might catch the sight of a long-tailed male Sharpy.

They are indeed, tiny.

Steve Mayo
Bethany