[CT Birds] Sharpie in Hamden

John.Emert at ubs.com John.Emert at ubs.com
Sat Mar 23 11:11:37 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz [mailto:rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:19 PM
To: jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net <jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net>; ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Sharpie in Hamden

John, I know the feeling.

A Robin is about 85 grams; a male Sharpy, 87 grams or so.  Sharpies are so much bigger.  And, it's so easy to see this dramatic difference in mass as these birds flit through the trees, just past your eyes.

;)

I'm kidding.  At Lighthouse, in October, during a scan of 400 Blue Jays, if we are awake, we often find a Sharpy.  In November, among a sheet of 1,000 American Robins each resembling a tiny Ace-of-Spades up in the sky, we might catch the sight of a long-tailed male Sharpy.

They are indeed, tiny.

Steve Mayo
Bethany