[CT Birds] Northeastern Ct reports

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Mar 24 19:22:31 EDT 2013

Boston Hollow, Barlow Mill Road, Ashford, Ct

Much as I would have liked to have seen the property remain undeveloped,
the people in the new house at 39 Barlow Mill Road have feeders out year
round  and attract some neat birds. Most of the birds in this list were seen at
that  location.

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Mar 24, 2013 10:30 AM - 1:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments: Most birds found at or  near new house, 39 Barlow Mill Road
20 species

Wild Turkey 1
Turkey  Vulture 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 4
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 7
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee  30
Tufted Titmouse 6
Red-breasted Nuthatch 5
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown Creeper 2
American Robin 4
Song Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco  6
Northern Cardinal 2

View this checklist online at
_http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13506064_ (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13506064)

Natchaug State Forest, Hampton, Beaverdam Marsh:

Natchaug SF Beaver Dam Marsh, Windham, US-CT
Mar 24, 2013 2:00 AM - 3:00  AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: 3rd time in 6 years I've found Tundra  Swans here. 2 CG. No other
waterfowl of any kind. That's unusual - pond is just  about ice-free.
2 species

Canada Goose 2
Tundra Swan 2
2 adults, far side of the marsh from entrance road, same area where I've
seen them twice before in recent years. I have digiscoped pics from about 1/4
 mile away - good enough to see bills and legs.

_https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tj2lsumztlzoknc/hLgAqgo_0m?m_
(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tj2lsumztlzoknc/hLgAqgo_0m?m)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tj2lsumztlzoknc/hLgAqgo_0m?m

View this  checklist online at
_http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13503534_ (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13503534)

3rd time in 6 years I've found Tundra Swans here. It certainly appears a
small number use this location as a stopover spot on a regular basis. Road
open  and passable but sloppy, better to go in from north end via US 44/Rt198
in  Eastford, and General Lyon, Pilfershire and Kingsbury Roads.

Mansfield Hollow Lake, Mansfield:

Mansfield Hollow S P, Tolland, US-CT
Mar 24, 2013 2:30 PM - 3:00  PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: about the most Common Mergs i've ever  seen in 1 place
2 species

Hooded Merganser 26
Common Merganser  130

View this checklist online at
_http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13506130_ (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13506130)

About the most Common Mergs I've ever seen in one spot at one time.Both
species probably greatly undercounted as I didn't try to wait for all the
divers  to surface.

Coventry lake, Coventry

Coventry Lake, Tolland, US-CT
Mar 24, 2013 3:10 PM - 3:50  PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: North coves are still frozen solid. Most  ducks prefer those
locations
3 species

Canada Goose 5
Mallard  6
Common Merganser 5

View this checklist online at
_http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13506197_ (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13506197)

The 2 north Coves are still frozen solid, and those are the spots most
ducks seem to like.

Don Morgan
Coventry