[CT Birds] Gannets lacking?

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Mon Mar 18 17:36:19 EDT 2013

Here at Penfield Reef in Fairfield, I have yet to see a single Northern Gannet this year. Normally, from the first week of March to mid-April, when I scan the horizon on the beach at any given time on any day during this period, I just about always see at least one gannet flying by if not several. I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever scanned the horizon during this period and not seen a single gannet, until this year that is. I have scanned nearly every day since the beginning of the month (briefly, but thoroughly) and have not seen any. I find this rather concerning after 3 weeks.

Has anyone else noticed less of or an absence of gannets in the sound? Or is this just a local occurrence? Even if it is the latter, I find it very strange. I just wanted to find out if others were noticing similar things.

James Purcell