[CT Birds] Peregrine chasing Wood Ducks

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 21:30:53 EDT 2013

At Rocky Hill Meadows this afternoon I was counting Wood Ducks when more Wood Ducks flew in to join those already at a pool of water.  Then I saw a large bird of prey behind a stand of trees and realized the ducks had been fleeing it.  After the unsuccessful Peregrine falcon moved on I happily resumed counting up to 26 of the lucky Wood Ducks before they disappeared back into the shadows.  Also 1 Northern Harrier (where I was hoping for the Short-Eared Owl).  The harrier scared up 80 or so sparrows- unknown species.

Dan Rottino