[CT Birds] Rusty's, Fox and Redpoll

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 20 07:29:56 EDT 2013

>From Carol and Jim Zipp
03/19/13 - Hamden Yard - 10 Rusty Blackbirds, 6 Common Redpoll and 3 Fox

Personal observation on Red-shouldered Hawks.  Speaking specifically for myself
and of the general New Haven area, Red-shouldered Hawks have become dramatically
more common over the last 30+ years. Back in the 70's and early 80's I could go
years without finding a nest while today it's a relatively easy task.  I used to
scour perfect habitat in wet woods and be thrilled to find even one during
nesting season.  Today they are yard nesting birds.  I pass at least 4 breeding
pair just on my way to work and that's less than 4 miles.  I have people coming
into the shop with photos of them sitting on their deck railings and swing sets
etc commonly.  For whatever reason they seemed to have adapted well.

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
Toll Free U.S.  1-866-Fat-Robin

Jim Zipp Bird Photography  www.JimZipp.com