[CT Birds] Durham

Anthony Zemba ajzemba at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 12:44:30 EDT 2013

Thank You. I agree. It was a CTDEEP project to "restore" Allyn Brook which
supposedly got clogged with sediment from an upstream dam failure.  The
sediment accumulation raised the stream bed causing the brook to overflow
its channel into the meadow creating an amazing developing wetland habitat
dominated by native herbaceous wetland plants full of snipe (during
migration), marsh wrens, rails, etc.  The economic importance of using the
fairgrounds as camper/trailer parking combined with the will of CTDEEP
fisheries to restore that reach of Allyn Brook for Brook Trout, and the
general population in town that remembered "how the brook through White's
Farm used to be"  transcended all other interests....and no mitigation was

Anthony Zemba
Durham, CT