[CT Birds] Spring is coming Paul!

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 24 19:38:09 EDT 2013

Paul I hear you! I'll be hiking mountain tops in deep snow next weekend but
I'm more than ready for warmth and warblers in CT very soon!

Hiked a little over 10 miles in Nehantic State Forest in Lyme today. Still a
little quiet, but turned up a Phoebe, an Osprey, a Barred Owl, and at a
wooded swamp a Red-tailed Hawk swooped past my face at head level so close I
could see individual throat feathers sticking out which looked soaking wet.
It startled me and stopped me in my tracks. I suspect the wet feathers meant
a Wood Frog bought the farm. Never had that experience before!

Signs of the season included numerous amorous Wood Frogs and Spring Peepers,
the first gnats (black flies) of the year, and 3 Mourning Cloaks. Nothing
like the first butterfly of the year to cheer you up.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England