[CT Birds] NE Ct locations, 3-26-13

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 18:42:01 EDT 2013

On a bird walk at Pomfret Audubon:

7 BLACK VULTURES
2 FOX SPARROWS

Beaverdam Marsh, Natchaug SF

No sign of the Tundra Swans and I understand they were not there yesterday
afternoon.
However there is now an interesting smattering of waterfowl:

5 Mallards
8 American Black Ducks
9 Common Goldeneye
1 Ring-necked Duck (Yes, 1!)
4 Hooded Mergansers
4 Wood Ducks
Approx 4 Canada Geese.

Mansfield Hollow (area in front of the boat launch)

Aprox. 30 Common Mergansers (Down from at least 130 on Sunday)
32 Hooded Mergansers
12 Ring-necked Ducks
4 Mallards\
1 2nd year BALD EAGLE (very scruffy looking) watching with great interest
the procession of ducks below, from the top of the dead white pine in the
left  hand corner past the island.
I went around the other side and got a good close up look at it, but
couldn't see any bands, although it's possible there were some.

Willimantic:

2 BLACK VULTURES circling just south of the US Rt 6 expressway east of Rt
32
.

Don Morgan
Coventry