[CT Birds] "Fieldfare" Pronunciation

NEaton nancyeaton at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 26 20:35:22 EDT 2013

At the risk of prolonging a minor discussion, I checked the pronunciation of "fieldfare" today in the library resources of Westfield State University, where I teach English. Again, I could find no authority, British or American, that even mentioned "field-FAR" as an acceptable pronunciation; all show the name as rhyming with  "air," "care" and "hardware." I am wondering if the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)indicators in some dictionaries, including the OED, have been misread--it's easy to do! Hope my interest in this recent question is not a distraction from more important birding concerns.

Nancy Eaton
Enfield, CT