[CT Birds] Portland Teal question/photos

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Mar 28 19:01:53 EDT 2013

Hi Dan,

Just to confirm, there were two drake Eurasian Teal, (and probably a
hen as well) there on Tuesday when I was there. I haven't edited my
images yet, but I do have some images with the two drakes in the same
picture. One of the drakes is a full plumage Eurasian, and the second
is not in complete full plumage....the white lateral scapular stripe
is diffused and incomplete. But there is no white shoulder covert
stripe visible. This is the one that is probably being thought of as
an intergrade. Russ Smiley has also taken images showing both birds as
well.

I am almost positive that I spotted (at least) one hen Eurasian Teal
with the usual field marks: stouter and brighter colored bill, lighter
lores, brighter supracillium, larger green speculum area, etc. However
the images I took were not great so I couldn't positively ID it. I use
to have quite a few of these when I had my aviary.

Keith Mueller
Killingworth