[CT Birds] Fear and Self-loathing

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 11:34:17 EDT 2013

I have received many responses about my posting but i wanted to make clear that i am not lobbying for the reporting of birds on private property against the wishes of land owners. Sure i would like to see every rarity but sometimes it just should not be made public.  We all should go out and find our own goodies anyway

What i am pissed about is the way some birders assume that  at any sighting birders will exhibit bad and careless behavior to the detriment of the bird or the land owner. They run down birders as though they were delinquents with optics. This is arrogant and certainly does nothing to promote our activity, organization, or future access to land or birds.

Birders, listers, and photographers do as much for the environment and for birds simply by their passion and enjoyment of the activity as all the " professional" activities of ornithologists.  We are respectful and caring. We share with anyone interested inour activity. It is out of a weird sense of self- hatred that certain people just can't seem to say anything good about birders even though they parasitically feed on the dynamic of the group.

Find a good bird on private land and the homeowner wants it kept quiet?  No problem. Certainly the record should be documented for posterity. Certainly every effort should be made to gain access for the interested community.  Certainly you should not say that if this were made public a riot would ensue. And in the end, if through all thebest efforts and assurances the bird still remains a secret, so be it.

Just don' t run down birdwatchers in the process.

Mark