[CT Birds] Fwd: Fear and Self-loathing

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Mar 29 12:26:43 EDT 2013

I am not sure that is a good idea....that may be problematic. That has
happened many times before come to find out that the landowner
photographed the wrong person only to make a point. The  person who
was responsible and innocent was used as a target to discourage what
they deemed as inappropriate behavior. Other times the landowner
didn't like the person in the photo trying to embarrass them, and so
on. Many times these birders are photographers and generally have a
target on their backs and are assumed guilty before they set their
cameras up. Just read any of the New England List servs and you can
see this battle going on all the time.

Ask me how I know? I was photographing the Gray-hooded Gull at Coney
Island two summers ago. I was among several dozen photographers on the
beach. I positioned myself away from everyone by kneeling in the hot
sand behind several trash containers on the beach using them as a
blind in the 90 degree sun. As the bird approached, it walked right in
front of me on the other side of the trash baskets and kept moving
away from me....being followed and pursued by over a dozen
photographers with huge lens'. I was stationary on my knees hiding
behind the trash bins, and all the other relentless birders and
photographers were walking right behind following the birds every
movement. Yet, I was the one that got called out and yelled at (and my
picture taken) by all the other birders hiding in the cool shade of
the distant boardwalk bathroom building. They said I had taken enough
pictures and I was disturbing the bird. Can you imagine that, I was
told how many pictures I could take, and I the only one not pursuing
the bird was 'harassing' the Gull!! That was quite disheartening since
I made a conscious effort NOT to disturb the bird and blend in like
all the sun worshipers on the beach, yet I a was singled out and put
in the Coney Island Stockade!

Marks post is very clear and quite articulate. Responsible behavior is
the key. We don't need a set of rules formulated by a few birders that
assume we are all a bunch of inconsiderate and irresponsible buffoons
that can't behave ourselves and act appropriately. Or was it just that
someone found the bird and din't want to share it with anyone else?

Taking pictures of the 'supposed guilty birder' is a bad idea.

Keith Mueller