[CT Birds] Common Teal in Portland

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Mar 29 15:30:41 EDT 2013

Good question Paul, but I think that the birds coming through are
normal and legit. I walked as far back into the marsh as I could go
behind the fairgrounds on Tuesday (where I use to go duck hunting) and
there were large numbers of Teal, Wood ducks, Pintails, Mallards etc
jumping up and flying towards GLastonbury. It is conceivable that
another Eurasian Teal or two were in those flocks. Years ago when I
had my taxidermy studio, I mounted many Eurasian Teal that were
collected in this State, often the person who brought the bird to me
didn't even know what they had.

I am sure there are more Eurasian Teal passing through our State this
time of year than we are aware of. Remember most marshes in the state
(especially along the CT River) are flooded and inaccessible, we would
have no way of knowing what species and how many were in the deepest
reaches of the marshes. That marshes behind fairgrounds run along the
River all the way to S. Glastonbury.....about 99 percent of it is
inaccessible unless you were wearing waders and walking down the old
paths if you could cross the normal channels. But most channels are
now too deep to cross because of the flooded conditions.

With that in mind, I think we were very fortunate to see (at least)
two drakes and maybe a hen in that small puddle in the fairgrounds.
And who is to say the the full plumages drake that is in the puddle
isn't a different bird coming to the puddle.

Keith