[CT Birds] In regards to Keith's description

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 29 18:14:46 EDT 2013

In regards to Keith's description of black and white while viewing a bird. I to
as an artist
have learned to see things beyond the colors of what you are seeing. Light plays
many tricks
on us, and most views of birds we see are almost always different. In the
outdoors, light is
always changing. Changing direction, intensity, direct or ambient, and also
where your bird is
located within this changing light habitat. These facts can play an important
role in us seeing
exactly what we think we are seeing. Case in point...

Several days ago, I was driving around Litchfield birding and just getting out
in the rare day
of beautiful sunlight. I happened to see a very white raptor circling above the
field, and my
blood and heart began to race! Instantly I was thinking - Gyrfalcon? or maybe a
day Barn Owl?

I jumped out of the car and got the nocks on it. Wow! I was seeing a very
Illuminated white underside
of an adult Red-tailed Hawk! It appears the sun reflecting up off the snow on
the field to the
underside of this hawk made it look bright white all over!
I know; I should have assumed it a Gyr and drove on............ Paul Carrier