[CT Birds] OT but of interest to some.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Mar 29 19:24:51 EDT 2013

I went birding at Boston Hollow today, and ran into some local area
residents I've met before. They told me they had just seen some cougar tracks in
snow. (These gentlemen have no way of knowing I have an interest in the
subject). Knowing that it was warm enough to melt fairly quickly I headed to
where they directed me. There was, indeed, a trackway of very large prints in
 the snow, and I knew the only two choices were bear or cougar, but since
bears  are not uncommon in the area I presumed bear, even though I knew that
the few  tracks still somewhat intact did look like cougar. it appeared that
some tracks  were slightly larger than others, which is consistent with the
fact that cougar  front paws are somewhat larger.
 I had nothing to measure with, but estimated that they were at  least 4
inches wide, side to side. Since I've never seen bear tracks in  snow I didn't
know what they should look like so I took pictures as best I could  of the
only decent tracks. I did note that there was NO visible sign in  those
tracks of claws, which would rule out cougar. However in some of the  melted out
tracks the "toe" prints had melted right down to the ground, leaving  the
possibility that it had happened because of the large claws of a bear.
However, one quick search for bear tracks in snow on Google convinced me
they were not bear. and, as I already knew, my pictures do match quite well
to  cougar tracks in snow on Google, though they are badly degraded. I am
inclined  to believe they are cougar tracks, though I know there are many
skeptics who  will dismiss the idea. Obviously there is nothing conclusive here,
but I'll post  a link to my pictures for anyone who is curious.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8jdqgle1m7nf4qw/kWkadS_NY5?m

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8jdqgle1m7nf4qw/kWkadS_NY5?m

Google "cougar tracks in snow" or similar for comparisons

Don Morgan
Covnetry