[CT Birds] Northeast Corner report

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Mar 29 20:11:46 EDT 2013

Boston Hollow, Ashford:
I was afraid the deep snow had killed off the WINTER WRENS as it  did 2
years ago, but I played their call in spots where I normally find  them and two
responded with song - saw 1.
I was directed to a set of possible cougar tracks - see separate post

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Mar 29, 2013 9:15 AM - 3:00  PM
Protocol: Traveling
15.0 mile(s)
23 species

Wood Duck  2
Mallard 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 4
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow 5
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 30
Tufted  Titmouse 6
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
WINTER  WREN 2 1 seen, both heard, came in response to call at location
where  normally found
Carolina Wren 1
Song Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco  8
Northern Cardinal 3
Red-winged Blackbird 10
Brown-headed Cowbird  6
House Finch 1

Natchaug SF - Beaver Dam Marsh:

Natchaug SF Beaver Dam Marsh, Windham, US-CT
Mar 29, 2013 3:10 PM - 3:40  PM
Protocol: Stationary
3 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  6
Mallard 2
American Black Duck 4
Ring-necked Duck 33

Mansfield Hollow, Mansfield, from the boat launch:

Mansfield Hollow S P, Tolland, US-CT
Mar 29, 2013 3:45 PM - 4:05  PM
Protocol: Stationary
2 species

Mallard 4
Common Merganser  83

View this checklist online at

Coventry Lake, Coventry, from the north cove. Ice just went out  today.

Coventry Lake, Tolland, US-CT
Mar 29, 2013 4:15 PM - 4:30  PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Red-breasted Merg is a first for me in  Coventry lake. All ducks
in north cove - ice just went out today- was stil  frozen yesterday
afternoon. Northeast cove still frozen.
4 species (+1 other  taxa)

Canada Goose 2
Mallard 7