[CT Birds] Sunday walk

Tricia Reid reidtri at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 13:27:37 EDT 2013

A pleasant Sunday walk in Mansfield Center and as always on a spring day
farther than I planned, but at least one sighting FOY.

On Chapin Pond
27 Ringneck ducks
2 Mallards
1 Canada Goose
1 GBH
6 Bluebirds
many turtles sunbathing on the beaver lodges,
and heard, not seen, north of the pond, 2 Barred Owls (who cooks for you/)

I cut across the hayfield following the flight of the GBH and down to the
old road alongside the river below Rt 89:

at  least 2, probably 3,  kingfishers (FOY)
1 Eastern phoebe
1 Song sparrow
Many juncos

I was very puzzled by an unusual tuneful song until a man in a red kayak
appeared from the tunnel under Rt 89, he'd been singing in the tunnel to
take advantage of the echo - puzzle solved.

--
Tricia Reid
reidtri at gmail.com
Mansfield Center