[CT Birds] Hartford Peregrines

Sarah Faulkner sffaulkner at comcast.net
Fri Mar 29 17:17:31 EDT 2013

I have been seeing the Hartford peregrines on an almost daily basis in downtown Hartford for weeks and have loved watching them hunt and chase the pigeons.  Yesterday was a heartbreaker, though, as I (while sitting in traffic on the connector) watched one repeatedly diving at a man on the scaffolding right by where their nest box should be.  The scaffolding was several stories below the nesting ledge just a few days ago, and suddenly has been raised up above the ledge.  I wonder if they had already laid eggs.

Anybody have suggestions?  Can't someone prevail on Traveler's to remove the scaffolding on that side of the building until babies have fledged?  To my knowledge, they were unable to nest last year due to renovations, but with the open ledge until a few days ago, my guess is that the pair is back and may have already laid eggs.  I am willing to call/lobby, but don't know where to start.

What to do?

Sarah Faulkner

If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them
tasks and work but rather, teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."
                           -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery